1. What forms of payment are accepted by the Connecticut Probate Courts?

Connecticut Probate Courts accept Mastercard, Visa, American Express or Discover and electronic checks. 

Filers are required, as part of the payment process, to certify that, by entering the bank account and routing number or by entering the debit or credit card account number and security code, and submitting the payment, they are authorized to permit the Connecticut Probate Courts to debit or charge the account for the amount indicated. 

To pay by debit or credit card, enter the first and last name from the card, the email address (to receive an electronic receipt), a phone number (optional), the account number, and the expiration date for the card. The box at the bottom of the page must also be checked to authorize payment.  

Each time a payment is made, the same information is required to be entered. The Connecticut Probate Courts do not retain payment information. 

2. How do I pay by electronic check?

To pay by electronic check, enter the name printed on the check (the name of the account holder), the routing number from the check, and the account number from the check. You will be asked to enter the routing number and the account number twice. Once you process the payment, the funds are taken from the account for which you provided the information. 

Each time you make a payment, you will be required to enter the same information.  The Connecticut Probate Courts do not retain your payment information. 

If you (the account holder) have a debit filter on your account that permits only specific people or companies to debit your account, you must notify your bank to allow a debit on your account for eFiling payments. Otherwise, your bank will not allow the debit and the eCheck will be returned unpaid to the court.  

3. Can I file electronically and pay later at the clerk’s office or by mail?

No.  When a document requires a court fee such as a filing fee or document recording fee, you must either pay the fees or file a request for fee waiver at the time of filing. 

4. Am I required to pay document recording fees electronically?

If the document recording fees associated with a filing total $50 or more, the eFiling system will calculate and require payment up front.  

For decedent’s estates, the eFiling system will not collect document recording fees associated with a tax filing up front. The court will calculate the document recording fees for the tax return when it calculates the statutory probate fee and send an invoice to the fiduciary.  

5. Can I pay outstanding balances electronically?

Yes. You will be able to retrieve a statement and pay an outstanding balance through the eFiling system. 

6. Are electronic payments allocated differently than checks or cash paid directly to the court?

​No. Allocations of payments are made in the following order:

  1. Interest bearing charges
  2. Accrued interest
  3. Oldest balance to newest 

7. Can I pay service of process fees electronically?

​No. Please contact the court for more information on payment of service of process fees. ​

8. Can I pay for newspaper notices electronically?

​No. Please contact the court for more information on payment for newspaper notices. ​

9. Can I file a request for a fee waiver electronically?

Yes. Please refer to the fee waiver request form for information relating to supporting documents. You should remove social security numbers (including numbers on statements from the Social Security Administration and Medicare) before uploading documents. Any tax returns in support of a fee waiver request may be mailed or hand delivered to the court. 

10. What happens if my fee waiver is denied?

If the court denies your fee waiver, your formset may be returned with instructions to resubmit the formset with the appropriate filing fee. For exigent circumstances, the court may schedule a hearing and send an invoice for the filing fee which must be paid before the hearing. 

11. What can I do if I inadvertently file and pay the filing fee or other court fee for the same case twice?

If you file a duplicate case or document which generated a filing fee, you may submit a request for a refund in writing to the Probate Court. 

12. Who do I contact if I am having a problem with my credit card payment?

If you are having a problem getting the credit card payment to go through properly, you should contact LexisNexis Payment Solutions at (866) 628-9244 or at paymentsolutions@lexisnexis.com.